April 10, 2011

another bunny

I don't make a lot of stuffed toys, but when I do, one of my favorite patterns is the Martha Stewart menswear bunny. There are some complaints in the comments that the bunny is too plain and the arms are too long and skinny but I think that's part of the charm. It can be a little tedious turning and stuffing the arms but the results are so, so cute--
I made this bunny from a very soft khaki men's dress shirt (99 cents at Goodwill). The inside of the ears are leftover scraps from another men's dress shirt after I made these shorts and these bibs. I did make a few alterations/additions to the pattern. I fused strips of interfacing to the wrong side of the ears before sewing them together so they aren't so floppy.
I also sew my arm pieces to the body rather than sewing and stuffing the arms and handstitching them to the bunny. I hope my bunnies end up being well-loved by the recipient, but I don't think my handstitching would hold up very well to a young child. This bunny will be a gift for my friend who is expecting a boy in June, but these would also make adorable (and very inexpensive) Easter gifts.
(I spent 99 cents on the shirt I used for the fabric and still had enough of the shirt left to make a pair of shorts for my son, two baby bibs, plus I still have leftover scraps. I spent $2.47 on a bag of polyfil and only had to use a small amount of the bag.)

2 comments:

  1. These would be so fun to leave from the Easter bunny. Too bad I am way to chicken to actually sew a toy. ;) Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete