June 23, 2011

boy's 4th of July outfit

The 4th of July is still about 10 days away, and my son's holiday outfit is finished!  It's nothing special, just some festive plaid shorts (that kind of look like boxer shorts) and an embellished t-shirt.  
The fabric for the shorts is from a thrifted men's dress shirt.  I'm always on the lookout for a cute red, white, and blue shirt.  I cut the pieces so the shirt's front pocket becomes the short's back pocket.  The t-shirt is from Walmart, and I used Heat-n-Bond Lite to fuse fabric stars to the front.

I was going to make a freezer paper stencil and do a saying more related to the 4th, but I figured if I went with stars he could wear the shirt for more than just one day.   I also made a couple of wavy rows of contrasting red stitching around the hems on the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt for some added interest.

He's excited to wear it--I told him with the stars on his shirt he'll look like a superhero!

elastic, thread, and Heat-n-Bond from stash
blue t-shirt:  $3.50
thrifted dress shirt:  $0.99
total:  $4.49

1 comment:

  1. It's always fun to have an outfit for the 4th. I am LOVING the addition of the red thread on the sleeves! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete