- The theme of this challenge is to sew any garment that YOU will be proud enough to wear in public.
- This is a sewing challenge so machine or hand sewing is a required element in your entry.
- You must make a new garment for this challenge.
- Upcycling and refashioning of existing garments is acceptable and long as you follow the second guideline.
- Don't confuse garments with accessories like hats, scarves, belts, etc.
- You must try something new when creating your garment. That's where the "challenge" part comes into play, right? Maybe you've never used a pattern, or sewn with knits, or installed a zipper. Here's your chance!
- It's not mandatory, but please take a few minutes to get know your fellow participants. Check out their blogs, facebook pages, pinterest boards, etc. We're all in this together so let's show some support!
The new things I tried while making my swimsuit:
- Making a swimsuit. :)
- Modifying/altering an existing commercial pattern.
- Sewing with spandex/swimwear fabric.
- Using sew-in elastic.
- Using sew-in breast cups which I just now realized after looking at the picture on the box that I sewed the stupid things in UPSIDE DOWN!
- Using my serger for something other than finishing the raw edges of fabric before I pre-wash it.
- Using a twin needle for hemming and sewing down the elastic--it worked amazingly well!
Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It took three tries, but I finally made a pair of bottoms that fit well. If I make another suit, I'd make the bottoms a smidge bigger in the butt and a bit narrower between the legs. The top fits fairly well, but it's got some issues. I'd like more gathering across the front (it just looks wrinkled and not gathered), and I really don't care for how the bust area looks. (Do you think sewing the breast cups in upside down has anything to do with that?) If I make another suit, I'd probably try a different style top that is more flattering to my (non-existant) figure. But it's done! Now, time to pack up the spandex and get back to quilting. :) And I can't believe I'm doing this, but here are pictures of me in my homemade swimsuit.
Okay, it doesn't look too bad from the back.
Hmm, the top could use some adjustments.
Sorry for the poorly lit indoor pictures. It's cloudy and only 50 degrees today!